- Legal channels for asylum seekers through facilities in countries of origin or transit, to reduce the numbers carried by illegal traffickers; allowing individuals to apply for asylum from a country other than their own.
- Set up a system of relocation and redistribution within the EU, to reduce the weight of the burden falling on a handful of member states.
- Policies to secure the accommodation of refugees in non-European countries, as long as they cannot return to their countries of origin, through the construction of safe and decent facilities in third countries.
- Develop cooperation with third countries to destroy the boats used by traffickers.
- Launch a cooperative law enforcement effort to break trafficking networks, confiscate their assets and prosecute those involved.